As a MacBook owner, you likely take great care to keep your device clean. However, it is expected that your Mac Laptops will accumulate dirt from its constant movement and usage. This can be because of fingerprints and smudges on the screen, which can ultimately affect the clarity and quality of the display. To maintain the optimal visual experience on your MacBook, it is essential to clean the screen regularly.
To clean your MacBook devices, it is essential to avoid using any harsh chemicals. According to Apple, you should not use cleaners that contain acetone, window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, ammonia, or hydrogen peroxide. Instead, use a soft, lint-free cloth and a mild, water-based cleaner. This will help protect your device’s screen and ensure it stays in good condition.
Best Way to clean Your MacBook Air or Pro Screen:
Using wet micro-fibre cloths are very common ways to clean your MacBook Screen. Here are 4 easy steps to effectively clean your MacBook screen:
Buffing and Polishing
- Shut the device down: To clean the screen of your MacBook, it is recommended to turn off the device and unplug the power adapter. While it is not strictly necessary to unplug the adapter if you are only using a dry cloth, it is an excellent precautionary measure to prevent potential damage to the adapter caused by friction while cleaning.
- Buff away prints with a microfiber cloth: To clean a MacBook screen, use a microfiber cloth that is soft, lint-free, and static-resistant. Avoid using abrasive cloths, dish towels, or paper towels.
Gently polish the screen in small circles, applying steady yet slight pressure. Buff the screen for several minutes until all fingerprints and smudges are removed. To avoid re-smudging the screen, hold the device by the upper edge or by the keyboard.
Wiping the Cloth:
- Shut the MacBook Pro down: Power off the device and disconnect the power supply.
- Dampen a soft cloth with water: To clean your MacBook Air Screen without damaging it. Use a soft, fiber-free cloth that is slightly dampened with distilled water. Do not use tap water, as it may contain minerals that could cause a short circuit. Avoid using rough cloths or paper towels, and do not soak the cloth in water. Do not spray water directly onto the screen. If you accidentally use too much water, make sure to wring the cloth out well before wiping the screen.
- Wipe down the screen: To clean a screen, start by wiping it down with a damp cloth using small circular buffing motions. Cover the entire screen, including the top, bottom, and sides.
As you wipe, apply firm but gentle pressure to the screen. Once you have wiped the screen clean, use a dry cloth to remove any remaining moisture and prevent streaks. If the screen is particularly dirty, you may need to repeat this process multiple times, using a fresh cloth and applying additional pressure as needed. To avoid smudging the screen while cleaning it, hold the screen at the top or bottom rather than the middle.
Use Cleansers for MacBook Screen:
- Shut down the MacBook Air or MacBook Pro.
- Detach the device from its power adapter.
- Make sure the device is turned off before proceeding.
These precautions are necessary to protect the device from potential damage caused by the wet cleanser and prevent electric shock risk.
- Spray a little LCD or plasma cleanser on a microfiber cloth: To clean an LCD or plasma screen; you should use a cleaner specifically designed for these types of screens and apply it to a soft, lint-free, and static-free cloth. Not using too much cleaner is essential, as the cloth should only feel slightly moist. Avoid using abrasive cloths, such as paper towels or dish towels, and avoid using all-purpose cleaners, alcohol-based products, bleach, aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives, as these could damage the screen. When using the cleaner, make sure not to spray it directly onto the screen, as this could allow moisture to enter the openings on the sides or bottom of the device, which could potentially cause damage.
- Wipe the screen using the cloth: To clean your Macbook Pro screen, start by wiping it with a cloth. Use a back-and-forth or circular motion, applying light pressure. To reduce the risk of smudging the screen, hold the device near the top or bottom as you clean.You may need to repeat this process several times and use more cleaning solution if needed to remove all smudges.
Using Electronics Wipes for better Cleaning Result:
Turn off the MacBook Pro-To properly clean your MacBook or MacBook Pro, it is essential to follow these steps:
- Shut down the device
- Unplug the power adapter.
- Use moisture-free wipes to clean the surface of the device.
It is crucial to unplug the power adapter and shut down the device before cleaning to prevent moisture from entering the device and potentially damaging the electrical components. Removing the power source will also prevent the risk of electrical shock.
- Use a specially formulated electronic wipe-To clean an LCD screen, a specifically formulated electronic wipe is recommended. Begin by wiping the screen from top to bottom or side to side. To ensure thorough cleaning, use small circular motions while applying light pressure. Choosing an electronic wipe with a non-alcohol formula is essential, as alcohol can potentially damage the screen.
Why Cleaning your MacBook is Important:
Taking care of your MacBook or MacBook Pro screen is crucial for your device’s overall health and functionality. A dirty or smudged screen can not only be visually unappealing, but it can also impact the performance of your device. Following the steps in this blog, you can efficiently and effectively remove dirt, dust, and smudges from your screen without damaging it.
It is important to remember to use only gentle and non-abrasive cleaning methods, as harsh chemicals or rough scrubbing can potentially damage the screen. Additionally, it is always a good idea to power off and unplug your device before cleaning it to reduce the risk of any accidents or incidents. If you device is Overheating, wait for few minutes to cool it down. Overall, taking the time to clean the screen of your MacBook Pro regularly can significantly improve its performance and extend its lifespan.